"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." (Mayer Amschel Rothschild)

"Most people are obsessed with money. Hardly anyone is interested in it."
(Wm. Shakespeare)

Scroll down a bit for posts!

Some Useful Links

FTSE 100 Shares Index (Value) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page
FTSE 100 Shares Index (Graphs) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page


eMail dr.ftse@gmail.com to learn more/how to get started as an Option Trader, or to ask for details of the hugely successful White Knuckle Riders Investment Club (wkr.inv.club@gmail.com) which deals largely in Traded Options, particularly Options in the FTSE 100 Index. The Club's objective is to make 1% PER MONTH for its members.
Since it's inception in August 2000 the Club has paid out £253,000 in profits to members. Members are strongly advised to withdraw accumulated profits regularly; trading options is always riskier than trading in the underlying securities (i.e the 100 companies whose shares make up the so-called 'FTSE 100 Index')


TEAM BLOG Fridge Soup

My Open Option Contracts

(Updated weekly on Friday at close of business, or whenever I re-arrange any of my positions - except I haven't updated them for MONTHS because no one ever reads the blog. See my comments above!)

FTSE INDEX OPTION CONTRACTS
12 x 6850 Short (*) Calls (November 2014 Series)
12 x 6300 Short Puts (November 2014 Series)
Index closed at 6495.6 on 07/10/2014
Expiry on 21st. November 2014

(*) "Short" in the context of option trading means the contracts were opened by selling them.
(**) "Covered" Calls means I have the shares to meet any assignment by the counterparty
(***) "Cash Covered" Puts means I have sufficient cash in my trading account to buy the shares if assigned by the counterparty.


Monday, 2 September 2013

Fun With Figures

Today the BBC is telling us that "Poor numeracy blights the economy and ruins lives"  That's as maybe. (See examples below) What annoys me is how articles like this refer to "maths" when they mean "arithmetic."  Arithmetic is to maths as paintbrushes are to a J.M.W.Turner sunset. Now FTSE dismounts hobbyhorse to ask . . .

. . . 3 questions.  Do they test your ability at maths, your ability at arithmetic or simply your ability to think?

1.  If I tell you the average of two numbers and one of the numbers, can you work out the second number?  (Example:  Average of two numbers is 12.  One of them is 8. What is the other number?)

2.  The National Lottery asks you to choose 6 numbers from 49. What's the chance you choose the first number  i) correctly, ii) incorrectly? And the second number . . . and so on down to your 6th. choice.

3. How many different four digit PIN numbers are there -
    i)  If duplicated digits are allowed?
    ii) If duplicated digits are not allowed?



1 comment:

  1. The words 'fun' and 'numbers' have never joined in my world...The concept is practically earth shattering, as the only hand in glove link-word to 'numbers' for me, is 'horror'.

    But I'd endorse the distinction between 'maths' and arithmetic' and agree, Geometry and Algebra have a fascination all their own, but that is because of what they can achieve, not simply because they use the dreaded 'numbers'....

    But simply PLAYING with numbers for FUN? Ugh! Not on your Nelly - or my Ada, come to that.

    I don't even count my chickens...

    ReplyDelete

I don't leave comments on blogs that use Word Verification. Ditto blogs which I know have Comment Moderation applied. Life's too short and I'm too busy makin' money and what the Hell are these people scared of anyway? If you don't like some creep's comment . . TRY DELETING IT! You have that privilege.
And I never read unpunctuated so-called poetry. I don't understand why self-styled poets think it's clever to make their work difficult to read/understand.