"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." (Mayer Amschel Rothschild)

"Most people are obsessed with money. Hardly anyone is interested in it."
(Wm. Shakespeare)

Scroll down a bit for posts!

Some Useful Links

FTSE 100 Shares Index (Value) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page
FTSE 100 Shares Index (Graphs) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page


eMail dr.ftse@gmail.com to learn more/how to get started as an Option Trader, or to ask for details of the hugely successful White Knuckle Riders Investment Club (wkr.inv.club@gmail.com) which deals largely in Traded Options, particularly Options in the FTSE 100 Index. The Club's objective is to make 1% PER MONTH for its members.
Since it's inception in August 2000 the Club has paid out £253,000 in profits to members. Members are strongly advised to withdraw accumulated profits regularly; trading options is always riskier than trading in the underlying securities (i.e the 100 companies whose shares make up the so-called 'FTSE 100 Index')


TEAM BLOG Fridge Soup

My Open Option Contracts

(Updated weekly on Friday at close of business, or whenever I re-arrange any of my positions - except I haven't updated them for MONTHS because no one ever reads the blog. See my comments above!)

FTSE INDEX OPTION CONTRACTS
12 x 6850 Short (*) Calls (November 2014 Series)
12 x 6300 Short Puts (November 2014 Series)
Index closed at 6495.6 on 07/10/2014
Expiry on 21st. November 2014

(*) "Short" in the context of option trading means the contracts were opened by selling them.
(**) "Covered" Calls means I have the shares to meet any assignment by the counterparty
(***) "Cash Covered" Puts means I have sufficient cash in my trading account to buy the shares if assigned by the counterparty.


Sunday, 8 November 2009

A Rant about A.I

A.I in the context of something-or-other stands for "artificial intelligence", and Wilkipedia (inter alia) will explain it and link you to scientific and philosophical discourses on the subject.  Well, DREAM ON! As I type this, the "Radio Times" is on the coffee table in front of me. But it is "upside down". Nevertheless I can still read the title.  As I could if the idiot printers had printed "Radio" upside down with respect to "Times" and the whole thing reading from right to left.  Or with every letter printed in a different colour and in a different typeface and with some of the letters upside down and some the right way up and and some of the letters mirror images of themselves and with the odd letter printed twice or in the wrong order and maybe with all the vowels missed out.  (Though not so easy if all the consonants were missed out.  Hmm? That's food for thought, innit?)  Can a machine reader do any of these "human" intelligence tricks? The root of the problem is simple.  The nerds, geeks and A.I Departments in our tenth-rate Techyversities begin by defining "intelligence" as a "something" which they can make a machine simulate. Like - recognising a chair as something to sit on, or walking downstairs without falling over. Then they say,  "Look at my wonderful machine.  And more imnportant, LOOK AT ME!!  Aren't we wonderful?  Aren't we intelligent?"  Well . .  er . .  no!  The techytype with his soldering iron and "Unix for Dummies" textbook may well be, but his quasi-useless machine isn't.
Here's another example of an artificially intelligent system whose I.Q is somewhat lower than a stone.  The other day, I was required to "activate" a new credit card. On keying the 0800 number (freephone to my friends across the Pond), a nicely spoken person asked me what I wanted to do.  Usually they tell you which button on the phone to press, and for a glorious moment I thought I was speaking to a real live girl. But NO!  When I said "I want to activate my new credit card", the voice-simulating machine replied "I'm sorry.  I didn't understand that.  Please try again."  Very slowly and carefully I said,  "Activate. New. Credit. Card"  This went on through several repeat loops.  (Oh . . . I'm sure I wasn't enunciating English any worse than "she" was, and I certainly speak more clearly than most of the interviewees and interviewers that you hear these days on radio and TV resolutely honking and snorting their way through one of the world's most beautiful languages. If you want to hear good English these days on the BBC or BBC World Service, listen out for the Swedish truck drivers and Chinese physicists. They speak English better than the average Estuary Native.)  But I digress.  Eventually "she" gave up and asked me for my card number.  Guess what?  Same routine. No matter how a enunciated the sixteen digits, "she" told me she didn't understand.  Finally I was asked if I would like to "speak to one of our experts"? . .  and wey-hay!! - "she" managed to understand my "Yes"  The point is, of course, that if I had been connected to a normally intelligent human in the first place and had said (something like) - "Oh, hi!  How yer doin'?  Listen, see, er, er, I got my, er, what's it, um, new credit thingy, credit card, you know, and I need to, like, hang on where's it gone, right, got it. What's the word?  Yeah. Activate it, you know, the new card thingy business."  If I had come out with that gobful of ordinary human speech, the "intelligent" human at the other end would have decoded it instantly into what I wanted to do. Artificial Intelligence? Perleeease.  Don't make us laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't leave comments on blogs that use Word Verification. Ditto blogs which I know have Comment Moderation applied. Life's too short and I'm too busy makin' money and what the Hell are these people scared of anyway? If you don't like some creep's comment . . TRY DELETING IT! You have that privilege.
And I never read unpunctuated so-called poetry. I don't understand why self-styled poets think it's clever to make their work difficult to read/understand.