"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." (Mayer Amschel Rothschild)

"Most people are obsessed with money. Hardly anyone is interested in it."
(Wm. Shakespeare)

Scroll down a bit for posts!

Some Useful Links

FTSE 100 Shares Index (Value) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page
FTSE 100 Shares Index (Graphs) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page


eMail dr.ftse@gmail.com to learn more/how to get started as an Option Trader, or to ask for details of the hugely successful White Knuckle Riders Investment Club (wkr.inv.club@gmail.com) which deals largely in Traded Options, particularly Options in the FTSE 100 Index. The Club's objective is to make 1% PER MONTH for its members.
Since it's inception in August 2000 the Club has paid out £253,000 in profits to members. Members are strongly advised to withdraw accumulated profits regularly; trading options is always riskier than trading in the underlying securities (i.e the 100 companies whose shares make up the so-called 'FTSE 100 Index')


TEAM BLOG Fridge Soup

My Open Option Contracts

(Updated weekly on Friday at close of business, or whenever I re-arrange any of my positions - except I haven't updated them for MONTHS because no one ever reads the blog. See my comments above!)

FTSE INDEX OPTION CONTRACTS
12 x 6850 Short (*) Calls (November 2014 Series)
12 x 6300 Short Puts (November 2014 Series)
Index closed at 6495.6 on 07/10/2014
Expiry on 21st. November 2014

(*) "Short" in the context of option trading means the contracts were opened by selling them.
(**) "Covered" Calls means I have the shares to meet any assignment by the counterparty
(***) "Cash Covered" Puts means I have sufficient cash in my trading account to buy the shares if assigned by the counterparty.


Saturday, 29 January 2011

BBC TV News . .

. . . just now is telling us about an unfortunate householder who lost the whole of his pension "pot"(*) of £200,000 because he had been given "bad financial advice". He is now doing a manual job for the minimum wage. £200K in a pension "pot"(*) suggests he was a 'professional' . . . er . .  professionally, in which case presumably, though not definitely, he could READ. (I  qualify my "presumably." After all, football players are described as "professional" although I doubt most of them can read above the level of Red Top headlines. My evidence?  Most of them can't grunt their own names intelligibly.) 

I crave your indulgence while I say it again.  IF YOU CAN READ YOU DO NOT NEED A FINANCIAL ADVISER.  You don't actually need a pension fund. i.e. a bottomless pit of promises that you pour money into every month in the hope that it will still be there when you die or reach retirement age, assuming that happy day ever arrives now that the pensionable age is growing up faster than you are.

But if you insist on (oops . . maybe your conditions of employment require that you HAVE to pay into a pension fund, well hard luck!) . . . setting up a pension pot (*) under the guidance of a Financial Adviser, make sure that he or she knows:-
1. where the FTSE Indices of shares will be when you reach pensionable age.
2. that no World Wars are due to break out before you retire
3. that your government (UK in my case) will not default on its Bond repayments or interest payments or otherwise go the way of Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Portugal etc before you retire
4. that your FA is not going to invest your cash on your behalf in Enron, Lehman Brothers, GEC-Marconi, Ferranti, BCCI, Polly Peck, British Airways or similar disaster areas.
4. which Managed Funds will do best between now and when you retire
5. with 100% certainty that the funds she or he will dump your money into are going to do at least as well as the one they name in 4.
6. that the answer to 4 won't have changed when the FA gets to next week/customer.

I hope you see the ironies implied in this rant.  If you can read, you can fix your pension for yourself - at least when nemesis strikes you won't lie awake blaming someone else because your £200K has vanished.

The basic rules are very simple.  One third in Bonds(**). One third in Blue Chip shares. One third in cash. (Most Financial Advisers charge you about £100/hour for telling you that.) 

(to be continued)

(*)  pension funds are referred to as "pots" because of the alliteration. The BBC obviously employs a Poet-In-Residence.  I can think of a more fundamental reason for the term "pot" in the context.

(**) Mine are all UK Gilts. A life-long friend of mine lost £4K IN A FEW DAYS when her Financial Adviser suggested an investment in bonds issued by . . . Lehman Brothers just before the 2008 melt-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't leave comments on blogs that use Word Verification. Ditto blogs which I know have Comment Moderation applied. Life's too short and I'm too busy makin' money and what the Hell are these people scared of anyway? If you don't like some creep's comment . . TRY DELETING IT! You have that privilege.
And I never read unpunctuated so-called poetry. I don't understand why self-styled poets think it's clever to make their work difficult to read/understand.