Today I woke to the news that Prince Charles is fulminating against the pensions industry. Good to know that I have something in common with the heir to the UK throne! His outburst is reported in the "Daily Mail", one of the organs of the British press that comes (fairly) close to being a real newspaper. You can read the article on-line for free so I won't weary you by quoting it here. You can also read it on-line in the "Times", which is a real newspaper - but you'll have to pay for the privilege.
I noticed one particular phrase, though. The Prince, who will be 65 next month, says "the pensions industry is unfit for purpose" Well now, that depends on what he thinks its purpose is! He means, I guess, that the industry doesn't provide us (you, me, Princes etc) with adequate pensions when we reach retirement age. The industry thinks its purpose is to screw as much money as it can out of its unsuspecting and financially ignorant customers during their working lives and to hand them much less than they were expecting when they do retire. Fund managers have to behave this way, or how would they afford to pay themselves 7 figure salaries, buy their Porsches, yachts, second homes in France, pay to join the right golf clubs and order their pinot noir a dozen crates at a time.
Wake up folks! The pensions industry does not exist to make money for you. It exists to make money for itself. Schimples.
(Like his Dad, isn't he!!?)

I must get Ada to come and see this- she's always telling me she'd like me to act like a Prince- not the prince of darkness, though!
ReplyDelete