Hello, People! When trading options in the FTSE 100 Index I don't use guesswork, crystal balls, goat entrails, tea leaves or the stars. I use a set of Rules. I won't bore you by explaining and/or justifying them except to say - my Rules do not use the past to predict the future. If this were possible there would be no Stock Market and there would certainly be no such activity as "derivative trading" i.e trading options and futures. I'll leave you to work out why. No, my Rules serve two purposes. They tell me when it's time to trade. They stop me having to think. They have been very successful and have enriched me considerably over the years.
And yesterday, October 1st, my Rules told me "Doctor, 'tis time to redeem your October position and open November." The diligent reader will remember that I opened my October position as recently as 10th. September, so that was quick, eh? A phone call to the brokers and I, or rather he on my behalf "bought to close" 7 x 6150 October Puts and 7 x 6750 October Calls, and "sold to open" 8 x 6050 November Puts and 8 x 6700 November Calls. Note that this trade widened the "spread" between the November Put and Call strikes by 50 points over the October spread. The whole trade bolstered cash at the bank by £2785.00. This is not profit unless/until the November contracts expire with the FTSE 100 Index between the Put and Call levels at 10.30 a.m on 15th. November. The trade resulted in a net profit on the October options of £3577.00
One day I shall fall flat on my face and you can all larf and say "When it sounds to good to be true it probably is."
I hear flat faces are all the rage amongst British bulldogs, Persian cats and Pekinese. Does this mean they too have been playing the field of Options, and omitted to follow the Rules? What a game!
ReplyDeleteLong may your nose protrude, Dr FTSE.