"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." (Mayer Amschel Rothschild)

"Most people are obsessed with money. Hardly anyone is interested in it."
(Wm. Shakespeare)

Scroll down a bit for posts!

Some Useful Links

FTSE 100 Shares Index (Value) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page
FTSE 100 Shares Index (Graphs) 15 minutes delay. BBC Page


eMail dr.ftse@gmail.com to learn more/how to get started as an Option Trader, or to ask for details of the hugely successful White Knuckle Riders Investment Club (wkr.inv.club@gmail.com) which deals largely in Traded Options, particularly Options in the FTSE 100 Index. The Club's objective is to make 1% PER MONTH for its members.
Since it's inception in August 2000 the Club has paid out £253,000 in profits to members. Members are strongly advised to withdraw accumulated profits regularly; trading options is always riskier than trading in the underlying securities (i.e the 100 companies whose shares make up the so-called 'FTSE 100 Index')


TEAM BLOG Fridge Soup

My Open Option Contracts

(Updated weekly on Friday at close of business, or whenever I re-arrange any of my positions - except I haven't updated them for MONTHS because no one ever reads the blog. See my comments above!)

FTSE INDEX OPTION CONTRACTS
12 x 6850 Short (*) Calls (November 2014 Series)
12 x 6300 Short Puts (November 2014 Series)
Index closed at 6495.6 on 07/10/2014
Expiry on 21st. November 2014

(*) "Short" in the context of option trading means the contracts were opened by selling them.
(**) "Covered" Calls means I have the shares to meet any assignment by the counterparty
(***) "Cash Covered" Puts means I have sufficient cash in my trading account to buy the shares if assigned by the counterparty.


Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Hooray! Hooray!

BBC News tells me today that figures released by the National Office for Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics show that the economy of Great Britain plc is "out of recession."  First question.  How many of the words in that sentence do you understand?  Can you, for instance, explain what is meant by "the economy"?  In the context of this ill defined "economy", what is meant by "recession" and hence, what is meant by the economy being "out of it"  Remember that the same NODLS (see above) told us we were out of recession in the 3rd. quarter of 2009.  Then they decided we weren't.  Or some other quango using different figures told us we weren't. Later on, another expert on BBC TV News said words to the effect that "Until we get out there into the High Street and start spending again, the economy will continue to something-or-other"  So there's one definition.  "The economy" is you lot pouring your money into Marks and Spencer, etc. And I hope you can now see why I don't mind in the least using vague terms like something-or-other, since I don't believe the weasel words like "recession" mean anything much either.

Now, what about "recession"  Believe it or not, there is a definition of this!  It's something like "four consecutive quarters of negative growth."  "Four consecutive quarters" I understand, "negative growth" I'm not so sure.  Four?  Might be three.  I forget.  Who cares!  But accepting the definition, we are "out of recession" when the 5th quarter turns positive.  O.K. Now we are getting somewhere!  Let's see . . .  Q1 Growth minus 3%.  Q2  Growth minus 1.5%  Q3 Growth minus 2%. Q4 Growth minus 1.25%.  Now we are officially in recession.  So in Q5, NODLS now tells us, growth is PLUS 0.4%.  In terms of the definition of "recession" we are now "out" of it.  But does PLUS 0.4% after MINUS 6.75% in the previous 4 cheer you up?  Should it?

Lunchtime today . .  the actual figure came out.  WOW. Output however they measure it, is up by 0.1%. Nought point one percent! That's ONE part in ONE THOUSAND!  D'you really think economic data can be measured that accurately.  Goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Very funny & pretty damn accurate. Well, within .0001 percent.

    ReplyDelete

I don't leave comments on blogs that use Word Verification. Ditto blogs which I know have Comment Moderation applied. Life's too short and I'm too busy makin' money and what the Hell are these people scared of anyway? If you don't like some creep's comment . . TRY DELETING IT! You have that privilege.
And I never read unpunctuated so-called poetry. I don't understand why self-styled poets think it's clever to make their work difficult to read/understand.